Friday, August 8, 2008

Relocations!

Hello, peoples! I've now been in Beijing for a week and... well, I'm not gonna lie, it's not quite what I expected. I'm feeling pretty damn homesick, actually.

Thing is, the government here is relying on these games as a way of showing the entire world how organised and efficient and great China is. As a result, the security here is insane. And as a result of THAT, they've sucked the life out of the city. Half the roads are closed, the traffic is terrible, and the influx of tourists is making everything crowded. There are police on every corner, there are soldiers patrolling the streets... all that's missing are the tanks, really. Everything is Olympic-geared, which is fun at first, but after a week I'm starting to find it kinda grating.

I'd like to come back sometime when the Olympics aren't on, I guess. But right now? There's a pretty opressive atmosphere, not a party one. And it makes me want out.

Anyhow. Yeah, I'm feeling kinda down. But let's talk about my day!

Today, I changed hostels. Goodbye, Far East Hostel! I'll miss you. But guys, say hello to the Chinese Box Hostel!


It's a nice place, though not very convenient for, well... anything. Nearest subway station is a 15 minute walk away, and there aren't any tourist attractions or cool markets or bars anywhere around here. Ah well. the hostel itself is cool, and I'm only here for a week.

Then today I headed to work, via Wangfujin. There seemed to be a lot of Olympic patriotism going around the place:


Dude, I'm all for patriotism, but seriously? Shirt, plzthnks.

Anyway, then I went to work. But here's what I found once I got there:


This is exactly what I was talking about. They'd blocked off the road to my workplace, so I couldn't get in. The security guys glared at me as I approached, so I backed off and made a few calls. Because I'm only an intern, I don't have a pass, so there was no getting in. I was told to head home and take the day off.

I'll call someone later about this work thing; if that road's blocked off for good, then that limits my options as an Olympic Errandboy. For now, I'll be happy to be an Olympic Tourist, I suppose.

So I did. I've been hanging around in bed for a while, just chilling out. The opening ceremony starts... well, now, actually. I don't think I'm gonna watch it. I'll catch the highlights later. I'm just sorry I couldn't get any cool pictures. I've been feeling down all day, and honestly? All I want to do is lie in bed.

Though I'd be even happier to go home.

ETA: I ended up watching the Opening Ceremony. It was me and the staff of the hostel: when they saw I was still around, they practically dragged me into the lounge, offered me a beer and got me a coke. When they found out I could speak some Chinese, we chatted for a while. The ceremony was gorgeous and hanging out was a lot of fun.

I'm feeling a lot better for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi peter - glad that the staff at the hostel took pity on you! Hang on in there - things can only get better.