Thursday, August 21, 2008

Farewells!

I've decided to give you two days in one update. Two for the price of one! What a deal, eh?

So yesterday, I woke up to a text message from the BBC peeps telling me that the plans had changed: we were going filming in a village that very day, and I had to be on the other side of town in 30 minutes! Could I make it?

I could. JUST in time, too!

The village was an amazing place. Just half an hour outside of Beijing, and it was as if we were in a completely different country.


It was really interesting to see that side of life in China. The camera crews did their thing and I followed them around. We were there till after sunset, and towards the end of the day it seemed like the whole village had turned up to hang out and be a part of the action! I met some great people, including this adorable group of girls who were playing and making up dance routines to various songs. It reminded me so much of what my sisters and their friends used to do on holidays when they were that age. Good times.

Then, today, I took another stab at the Forbidden City! Cause you know what they say: second time's the charm! (I know they don't really say that. Cut me some slack, guys!) Well, I made it in, and it was very much worth it.


The Forbidden City itself was a lot more interesting than Tiananmen Square itself. For one thing, the architecture was more ornate. The open spaces were tiered and decorated, and much more fun to walk through than flat, open courtyard. Also, it was just cool being in a place that for so many years was out of bounds for most of the world, where the imperial families of China lived and worked.


Incidentally, I have a theory about the name. The place isn't forbidden any more, so why still call it the Forbidden City? Because the 'Open To All For A Small Fee' City doesn't have the same ring to it. Also, I guarantee you that most of the people there were drawn, at least in part, by the idea of wandering around someplace that's forbidden. I know I was!

After all this, I wandered around a little and made my way over to the ol' Chinese Box hostel to meet up with the old crowd. As it turns out, people have been leaving in ones and twos and threes, so all that remains of 'the old crowd' is me, Paul and Janko. Alas, sunrise, sunset, auld lang syne, yes, we have no bananas. But we did go out for a fantastic last meal in Beijing, and made friends with a group of elderly, good-natured Finnish people, and the evening was pretty much everything I could have hoped for and more.


So now I'm sitting in the hostel, and I should really be sleeping cause I'm getting up in 7 hours. The plane leaves pretty early! Tomorrow I plan to update with a big chunk of reflection and looking-back and suchlike. But for now, let me just say that it's been a wild three weeks, and looking back on it, I don't regret a minute of it.

Goodbye, Beijing. I'll talk to you guys from England.

Night, all.

PS: Ladies and gentlemen, today's moment of zen:


Yes, those are British athletes. Yes, that is a signed flag. No, I have no idea who they are or what sport they were in. It was a photo of opportunity!

No comments: