Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Mojitos!

Another surreal experience today, folks. I got to the media center near the Olympic stadium a little early, so I took a seat outside in the street and pulled out my laptop to pass the time. Doing drafting for 12 Angry Men in the angry Beijing sun in front of the Bird's Nest is surreal enough. On top of that, though, as I was sitting there I became a kind of tourist attraction in my own right. People would sit next to me and try to strike up a conversation. One couple even got their picture taken with me. In retrospect, I should have asked for a picture myself. Ah well!

Nothing much to report on the day's reportings. I was shut up in the Box of Doom and Air Conditioning all day. I really should get some posters or something for that place, brighten it up a little. Got to chatting with Quentin Sommerville, an illustrious reporter person and a thoroughly Irish man.

Then this evening, I met up with Aileen and some of her friends and headed out to - finally - check out the Beijing nightlife! We went to a place called Hohai, and what a place it was. It reminded me of Amsterdam (yes, yes, I know, I've never been to Amsterdam. But I've seen pictures!), what with the lake and the bars and the neon signs flashing 'Heineken' everywhere!


Aileen's friends were cool people, and because I am a bad person, I have already forgotten their names. But we all hung out on a rooftop bar, chatting and - yes - drinking a little. Don't worry, I was the very essence of restraint. I had a Whiskey & Green Tea, which wasn't bad at all!


Hohai is a very cool place with a lot of very cool shops. If I had to pick one word to describe it - and I've decided that I do - I'd say 'trendy'. Also, the places around there have a down-to-earth mentality that's frankly refreshing:


No, no, don't you think. Just down that sucker. Mmmm, you like that, don't you? That's right. Respect the 'to, bitches.

1 comment:

Espérance said...

...You have the best stories. And the best photos. Oh my god.